Wednesday 7 September 2016

The Little Waaagh! That Could

One good thing about having a cluttered painting table - everything seems to get finished at once!

Goblin Grom the Paunch for Orcs & Goblins, Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
Especially if you're basically just rebasing them

Time to conjure up some Shamans!


You've already seen Little Grom, when he was unfavourably compared to his corpulent successor. He just required a dirtying-up of metal and a new base.

The poor wee chap was my general all the way back in WoffBoot III, when his goblin-only army managed to defeat a force of Ogres in single combat ... only to fluff the final battle when a well-aimed Dwarf Grudge Thrower routed his entire unit (and by extension, half the army) off the board in the first turn.

For that infamy, he's getting demoted to a Big Boss.

Goblin Shaman for Orcs & Goblins, Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
Have you ever seen a more Vindictive Glare?

Another long-time gobbo veteran is my Shaman. And despite being a low-level spellcaster, I really like the model. It's got a nice 6th Ed expression in the Brian Nelson style, with some cool extras like a mushroom strapped to his wrist, and voodoo doll tied to his staff.

Again, nothing much required other than touch-ups and a new base (gosh, I'm making good progress through the leadpile, aren't I?)

And finally, something I did paint from scratch.

Goblin Great Shaman for Orcs & Goblins, Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
I have no idea what that finger is doing - saying 'Red Rum' to the mirror, maybe?

I'm not sure what compelled me to pick up this model. The sculpt doesn't particularly excite me, and it's not as if I'm running short on goblin spellcasters (even when I've retired a few models, and put others atop spiders, I'm left with more shamans than the spell deck can accommodate).

But hey, I've got him now and he wasn't difficult to paint up. And to make up for my dismissive attitude towards him, he gets a promotion to Great Shaman (there was something about the pointy manner and big cloak that seemed to make him more senior).

Goblin Great Shaman for Orcs & Goblins, Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
My ingenious use of brown-on-brown ensures my freehand remains hidden.

And when you've got a Great Shaman, he needs a snazzier cloak - so I slapped a few glyphs on it for good measure.

And with these three characters added, my Goblin faction is starting to look almost playable. A few more core additions to both them and my Night Goblins, and I could be pitching for an all-gobbo civil war in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment