Friday 17 March 2017

All Change!

Like Schubert's 8th Symphony, my painting desk has been racking up the unfinished projects since Christmas. But that's about to ... CHANGE!

Was that too on-the-nose? (on-the-beak?)

As you can tell from our recent Age of Sigmar battle reports, I've been delving into Tzeentch Arcanites (mostly by drafting my Silver Tower set, or borrowing from Kraken's extensive collection). But now I can roll out my own models - starting with the Magister!

This kitbash began last year when he was still called a Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord, and came with the Silver Tower Mighty Heroes set. 

Although I liked the original crazy-eyes/horned head look, it was too similar to the regular Chaos Sorcerer Lord (I'll get around to him too), so I wanted a head swap. 

As luck would have it, the Silver Tower Darkoath Chieftain comes with an option of either a) war axe or b) decapitated Tzaangor head. As no-one would surely wish to deprive Faux-nan the Barbarian of extra weapons, the head was going spare.

Tzeentch Arcanite Magister for Warhammer Age of Sigmar - converted with a Tzaangor head.
I live again!

Even more fortunate, the head was a lot smaller than the actual Tzaangor (which would be totally out-of-scale on this model). And the model even comes with bird feet! Greater machinations were clearly at work here.

Tzeentch Arcanite Magister for Warhammer Age of Sigmar - converted with a Tzaangor head.
Wasn't there a Roald Dahl story where this happens?

The head grafted on easily enough, and aside from some adjustments to the sword arm to accommodate the beast horns, all was well.

I have to say, I think the bird head suits the model better: the beak thrusts ahead, which gives the bent-back pose a bit of forward motion (whereas the original head stands up starkly, as if he's just slipping a spinal disc).

As a bonus, since the bird head was originally sculpted as dead, it has a nice empty-eyed, tongue-lolling expression. Clearly this is one sorcerer who may be considering whether he's gone one mutation too far in his thirst for knowledge.

Tzeentch Arcanite Magister for Warhammer Age of Sigmar - converted with a Tzaangor head.

The painting recipe (as far as I can remember after dabbling away for three months):
  • Skin: Calgar Blue base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Calgar Blue drybrush
  • Beak & Feet: Averland Sunset base, Yriel Yellow blended
  • Armour: Retributor Armour base, Reikland Flesh wash, Golden Griffon drybrush; Ahriman Blue
  • Horns &claws: Zandri Dust base, Agrax Earthshade wash 
  • Loincloth: Flayed One Flesh base, Seraphim Sepia wash, Flayed One Flesh drybrush
  • Sword: Stormhost Silver base, Druchii Violet wash, Stormhost Silver drybrush
  • Staff: Sword: Stormhost Silver base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Stormhost Silver drybrush; Zandri Dust base, Agrax Earthshade wash
  • Staff Orb: Druchii Violet wash, Genestealer Purple + White Scar highlights
  • Base: Chaos Black, Brown Ink, Agrax Earthshade, Valhallan Blizzard

The new Valhallan Blizzard is not quite as the same effect as my long process with the baking powder, but it goes on easy and is very much faster, which does it for me.

Tzeentch Arcanite Magister for Warhammer Age of Sigmar - converted with a Tzaangor head.

Of course, I do all this to create a unique bird-sorcerer, and then Tzaanuary happens and we get flooded with Shaman, Skyfires, Enlightened and more Tzaangor! 

Outmanoeuvred again by the Great Manipulator!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Good work. But it was never going to be unique - I have this exact conversion in the pipeline too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess it's an obvious one - although I've yet to see it done. I should have put the head onto a Night Goblin body for a boss-level Tweak.

      Delete
  2. I had to steal this idea, thanks for the tip with the Silver Tower head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome - although now I want another with the crazy-Sorcerer head!

      Delete