Friday 8 July 2016

What does 'Kairic' mean anyway?

I guess it means Games Workshop are serious about beefing up their IP, because they dominate the Google result with these beauties.

They're basically Tzeenchian cultists, is what they are,

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Kairic Acolytes
Choleric Acolytes? Concentric Acolytes?

Just in case you may have thought I'd given up on my personal Warhammer Quest to paint the set Silver Tower set, rest assured that work continues apace. It's just a very slow pace.


These guys have been sitting on my painting table, in a state of 95% completion, for the better part of a month. The only thing left to complete were their belts and bird ornaments, and yet I couldn't summon the time or inclination to get on with it.

The only way to break the deadlock was to power through, and now these guys are finished, ornamental birds and all!

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Kairic Acolytes

The final 5% notwithstanding, they were a treat to paint. With the temple loincloths and bird-face masks, they'll make for excellent generic cultists (the sort Conan needs to hack with way through before facing the underboss).

Painting recipe as follows:

  • Gold: Retibutor Armour base, Reikand Flesh wash, Golden Griffin drybrush
  • Skin: Kislev Flesh + Reikland Flesh; Steel Legion Drab + Agrax Earthshade; Mournfang Brown + Agra Earthshade
  • Cloth: Naggaroth Night base, Drakenhof Nightshade wash, Genestealer Purple drybrush
  • Kilts: Drakenhof Nightshade over Grey Primer; White Scar highlights
  • Base: Swooping Hawk Turquoise, Agrellan Earth, Zandri Dust drybrush


Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Kairic Adepts
When you're a 'Kairic Adept' you get a hat.

These models came in two sets of four. I didn't think duplicates were right for such distinctive minis, so did some weapon swaps to add variety. Easier said than done, as these modern sculpts are intended for be assembled for a specific (and very striking) look, not multi-limb poseability.

By hacking along wrists and elbow joints, and liberal use of greenstuff, I got what I wanted. In fact, I can't immediately tell by looking at them which model is the conversion. The Kairic Adept, for example, seems very suited to having a polearm like a rod of office.

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Kairic Acolytes
Did I mention bird-feet? They appear to have bird feet. Fewer toenails for me to paint, I guess.

I used a variety of skin tones in the cultists, partly to echo the Ancient Egyptian feel, and also because I reckon Tzeentch is a broad church. From the photos, it looks like only the pale/dark skin is evident, but there are gradations within that.

Warhammer Quest Silver Tower: Kairic Acolytes
Benetton had the same problem.

So that's another faction of the Silver Tower done. Hopefully I'll get around to reading the rules before they're finished.

7 comments:

  1. Very very nice! Lovely models and a cracking paintjob to boot.

    Does Kairic imply some sort of worship of Kairos Fateweaver? I think we should be told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I could have painted a regiment of these (although I'm enjoying the pick 'n mix of the Silver Tower).

      This is how new I am to Chaos: hadn't considered Kairos Fateweaver. Maybe I should have modelled one with two heads (which is actually do-able, since you get an extra Tzaangor head in the set).

      Delete
  2. Nice work. I've played through a couple of quests now - it plays quite well actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Despite my ambivalence, I do want to play this game.

      All grist to the cause of a WoffBoardGame weekend!

      Delete
  3. Hi! I liked WQ so much (although in my case it's Hammerhal) that I made a few helper tools for ambush rolling, which you can find at http://static.pythonaro.com/ambushwhack/ . Would you mind if I used a few of your pictures for illustrations there? Personally I'm shit at painting... I would clearly credit and link your posts, of course. There is no money involved anywhere, no ads on the page, it's just a tool I made for me. If it's ok, you can reply to this or ping me on twitter (@toyg) or gmail (g.lacava). Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. That's a nice tool for ambushes - please help yourself for images, and thanks for asking.

      Delete