Monday 17 June 2013

Three's Company

Accelerating towards the end of the box of Hobbitoids, I have now got all the dwarves done.

Winkin

Blinkin

Nod

I'm resisting the temptation to do full company shots until the whole lot is finished. You can't take photos of an unlucky number of adventurers, it simply isn't done, I need to paint the burglar first.

But here's a sneak preview anyway.
It's really quite nice having painted scenery to pose them on, I've not had that in a long time.

I'm just over half way on the scenery too, including some handy objective markers. Baggage and weaponry, so you can re-enact more classic scenes from the book like that bit where three of the dwarves split off from the others to get their rucksacks back I mean I don't know why they even bother making it a film of the Hobbit when they could have called it something else and not pissed off a lot of middle-aged nerds I'm sure I'd have lived longer with lower blood pressure [discontinued - Ed]

Hemmed in on all sides by snarky abuse,
the dwarves prepared themselves to sell their acting careers dearly.

3 comments:

  1. I remember Winkin, Blinkin and Nod well - the surnames of G.I. Joe biker antagonists, the Dreadnoks.

    Well done on finishing off Thorin's company, although the speed of progress baffles me - I though impulse buys were supposed to sit in the corner, gathering dust for years, until guilt and a renewed desire to clear the painting list put them in rotation.

    To buy something at Christmas and then steadily paint it right away is a new phenomenon - but I suppose you want to get them all done so you can get started on the Evangeline Lilly Battle Set (with extra Warg Riders!) next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to own one of the Dreadnoks, the one whose weapon of choice was a pneumatic drill. It was a younger, more innocent age.

    I'm surprised too. I'm actually at risk of having, for the first time in my entire life, a fully painted GW boxed game. I never achieved that before. I don't know what I'll do with myself once I'm done. Raise my daughter or something, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pneumatic Dreadnok would be Ripper, aka 'Harry Nod'. The other two members of the biker trio were Torch ('Tom Winkin', weapon of choice: flamethrower) and Buzzer (Richard Blinken-Smythe, weapon of choice: chainsaw and Oxbridge education).

    So yes, in addition to Blinken, Winkin and Nod as surnames, their forenames were Tom, Dick and Harry...

    It was indeed a more innocent age, when violent sociopaths provided comic relief from international terrorists, who were themselves the natural villains for 8 year-olds.

    ReplyDelete